Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I am becoming a skeptic

A student calls me up and tells me that he is in serious family crisis. The situation he describes is really, really awful.
I feel really bad and I ask "What do you want to do?"
He says "Can I submit that paper two days later?"
So now I am thinking " The family crisis he just described sounds too horrible to not run home immediately. Is he telling the truth or is he making up stories just to get that extension?"

I am turning into a mean, skeptic!

I blame it on the past experiences. People come up with some pretty crazy excuses around this time of the semester. It's mid-term week. Everyone is crushed with deadlines and exams. I have been getting deadline extension requests for this paper since last two days (It is due tonight). Unfortunately, I do not have the authority to do so and the Professor who has, won't buzz. I guess it's because he has even more experience than us TAs. "Tough love", he says!

5 comments:

Cynic in Wonderland said...

..these quandries suck..you feel had either ways.

P said...

yeah..there's no sure way to find out the truth.

Pavi!!!! said...

i remember hvg made these excuses as a kid!The assignments and projects were so hard to complete on time!

P said...

Yeah..I understand their situation too, but I'm sure you never killed or made your family members terribly sick in your excuses.

Pavi!!!! said...

yeah killing or even saying someone was ill was a No-No.I mabbe silly i was superstitious about that and yet am.